Tuesday, January 19, 2010

the great mattress dilemma...

My mother has decided that I am crazy.... and maybe I am, but only a little.

So at first, I knew I wanted an organic mattress... turns out organic is not always much better than your typical mattress, (in this great mattress debate anyway...) And I soon came up with this theory that getting a used mattress was safer than a new mattress because the toxic gasses (which have been shown to cause SIDS) have already released. (I should add here that I cannot remember where I got this information, but passed it around as if it had been researched meticulously.)

Turns out... a used mattress is much more likely to cause my sweet child harm than a new one! Somehow the gasses have already released, so the fungus is quicker to release them with a new occupant. Awesome.

So then I was stuck, again, on buying a new, organic, mattress. They really real you in out there... some sites even told my my baby would be more likely to DIE if I did not think of his well being and make the right decision in purchasing the right organic mattress. Seriously.. it is scary out there for someone as gullible as I am.

Is my baby even going to sleep in his crib?

Anywho... through all of this research, trying to find credible sources, I came across Babesafe mattress wrapping. It totally makes sense and has research and years of success to back it up. Basically, you buy this $30 plastic cover made from certain materials and wrap the mattress in it. Then, you just put a special blanket or 100% cotton towel over the top of it, top it off with a 100% cotton crib sheet, and wala! Your baby will live for years to come.

They have been studying it in New Zealand for over 10 years and since the beginning of the campaign, not 1 baby has died from SIDS when using a properly wrapped mattress. (I want to say the number is up around 200,000 babies.)

I am buying one for his crib mattress and his co-sleeper. I feel better now that this great mattress debate is over.

If you are interested... you can check it out at: http://www.babesafe.com

Just to add... I am sure we all grew up on these terribly unsafe mattresses and we all seem to be doing just fine.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, Pam. You're still pregnant and you're already making me look like a bad mom! :) How did you think to research mattresses??

    ReplyDelete